Wednesday, February 29, 2012

1862 circa March 1

[from the diary of Samuel Johnson, 1st Massachusetts Independent Light Battery]

A Journal of the proceedings of
the 1st Mass Independent Light
Battery. During its original term of
service in the Rebellion of the
Southern Confederacy


The above mentioned Battery, was
organized and sworn into the service
of the United States, on the 28th
day of August. 1861 for a period
not to exceed three years. Was sent
into camp at Camp Cameron,
North Cambridge, to recruit to its
full number, and to prepare
for active service. Remained
in camp at North C. until the
3rd day of Oct. when, having received
orders to report to the Chief of
Artillery, Army of the Potomac,
we broke camp at that place
and proceeded by rail to
Washington D. C. Via New York,
Philad, and Baltimore. Arrived
in Washington on the 6th
of Oct. went into camp at the
Camp of Reserve Artillery Capitol
Hill. While laying in this camp,
the Artillery and cavalry of the
Potomac Army was reviewed by
President Lincoln. Gen. G.B. Mc
Clellan and Staff. In this review
the battery was highly complimented
for its fine appearance. Remained
in this camp until the 14th inst. when
we were ordered to march and report
for duty to Brig. Gen. W. B. Franklin
who was at that time organizing his
Division at Alexandria. Va. Went
into camp on the Leesburg Turnpike
Camp Revere, where we remained
until the 10th day of March 1862.. drilling
and preparing of active and field service
During the winter were reviewed a
number of times by Gen’s McClellan.
McDowell Franklin and Barry,
On the 20th of Jan. 1862. Henry A. Carpen-
ter one of our wagoners was accidentally
and instantly killed by his horses:
running away with, and trampeling on
him. Were paid off twice during
the winter. The weather has been
extremely unpleasant. have had rain
and snow storms in abundance, the
mud has been constantly from 6 in,
to two feet deep in the roads. Two of our
men have been discharged for disabil-
-ity and several sent to the Hospital’s
From the 20th of Nov. until the
last of Dec. I was dangerously sick,
with a fever.

[Transcription by Mary Roy Dawson Edwards]

MSS 8493

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.